April is the designated Sexual Assault Awareness Month in the United States. Sexual assault can happen to anyone at anytime.
According to the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) 97 out of 100 rapists will walk free, receiving no punishment. 54% of assaults are never reported. Every two minutes someone in the United States is sexually assaulted. EVERY TWO MINUTES.
Many do not know where to turn and face a wide range of emotions. Sexual assault is a situation many will face for years to come. It’s time for men and women everywhere to stand up and say that this is not okay.
Here are six ways from RAINN that you can do to show your support and stand up against Sexual Assault.
- Tell a friend about the National Sexual Assault Hotlines (800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org). It’s never too late to get help, talk to someone who understands what you’re going through.
- Follow RAINN on Twitter or become a fan on Facebook and share the latest RAINN news.
- Add a RAINN web banner to your blog or website.
- Volunteer at your local rape crisis center.
- Make a donation to RAINN to ensure that no one has to go it alone. $10 helps one survivor through the National Sexual Assault Hotlines.
- Support legislation, like the SAFER Act, to eliminate the DNA backlog.
It’s time for survivors to gain their voice.
96 total views, 2 views today